Re: Slightly OT: FC9 i386 cd's

max bianco wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:49:17 -0400, max bianco wrote:

 > 2008/5/12 David Hunter <davehoz@xxxxxxxxx>:
 > > Ops my bad - Australia - i don't have a DVD burner, but have a cd burner.
 > > Are CD-R's ok? I'm in Sydney. did you want the Source isos or the actual
 > > install iso CD's ?
 > >

 > Actually I would prefer my own account on your PC so I can connect
 > directly to you and make sure you aren't modifying the iso before it
 > gets burnt to disk. Its not that I don't trust you, its just well, i
 > don't trust you. Out of curiosity, exactly how much will a set of
 > iso's cost me? and does that include shipping?

 You can verify correctly burnt CDs/DVDs with the SHA1 checksums found
 in the official Fedora release SHA1SUM file. Just read out the images
 with your favourite tool (readcd or dd for example).

Yes I could do that but seeing if I can get an account on his computer
would be more fun, not that I think it likely at this point but you
never know , there is some irony i think in selling fedora cd's on the
fedora list but maybe I am the only one that can see the humor in
this: ) especially when I just read another thread with instructions
on downloading and installing without the need for an actual cd or dvd
disc.

Probably more people providing DVD than CD these days, the CDs are useful in older computers. I just order a few more little USB adapters for 2.5 in drives to do laptop installs on machine which are too small to install otherwise.

The CDs are a bunch of work, are almost as expensive as DVD blanks, and you wind up burning five instead of one. If I were selling I think about $12/set would come close to the actual cost plus minimum wage on the labor. But CheapBytes.Com doesn't have the CDs listed, so there will be a market. They get $6/DVD.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>