Re: firefox (etc??) probs

michael wrote, On 05/15/2008 12:14 PM:
The below turned out to be a problem with the NFS server... that'll
teach users to mount their /home on a busy server ;)

The client machines wouldn't happen to be mounting the NFS server with soft mount would they?
soft should be issuing an I/O error.
hard,intr would allow EINTR.
not sure what hard alone would issue.
a change to hard,intr and retest, might look a bit different.

Of course the problem is not that they have their /home on the busy server... it is that they set their Firefox to have a 200MB cache on /home on the busy server... might be interesting (and a denial of service) to
LIST=`locate Cache|grep firefox |grep -e Cache$`
for i in $LIST;do \
mv $i $i.bak; mkdir $i ; \
chown root:root $i; chmod og-rwx $i; \
done
and see how much the load goes down on the server.

As I said though, it's a DOS, best to make sure the boss is not doing anything "important" while testing, and gives approval. ff should recreate the Cache directory if it is removed I think, otherwise it might be a little tricky to get the right permissions back on the dirs.

the following command would probably let you know who has oversized Caches, without upsetting the boss.
du -smc `locate Cache|grep firefox |grep -e Cache$` \
 2>&1 |sort -n

And of course gnome caches all it's state on disk, so that NEVER hammers an NFS server. :}