Re: KDE 4...

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 11:02 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2008 09:18:05 am Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 18:20 -0400, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > > What do y'all think of KDE 4? It doesn't seem to be as technical as
> > > KDE 3 to me, I don't like that. The system configuration lacks
> > > options, I can't figure out how to get things the way that I want
> > > them, etc. I am not saying that it is not good, though. That maybe it
> > > just needs more options.
> > >
> > > Just wondering what y'all thought.
> >
> > IMHO, KDE4-release was underwhelming and shouldn't have been released
> > until it reached feature a parity with KDE 3.5.x.
> > IMO, bugs and crashes can be forgiven - but not having an option to set
> > the order of applets on a panel (only added in 4.0.3?) or change the
> > appearance of the panel was inexcusable.
> >
> Why?  What exactly do you want to do that you can't?  It's true that
> improvements are coming all the time, but the panel arrangement, for example,
> arrived in time for F9 release.

The start move->stop move is counter-intuitive.
I cannot remove the zoom applet. (KDE #154535)
GNOME tray icons appear get corrupted. (KDE #155381)
Logout/Shutdown/etc under Leave/kick-off must be selected twice. (Fedora
#441260)
Panel resizing breaks more-or-less everything. (KDE #158762).

Beyond that:
The new kick-off menu is... @#%^@#$^@#^@#@#!!!~#!% and the classic menu
is far too spartan.
I cannot modify the dock's lock and feel. (Fix should land in rawhide
any time now - though AFAIK, transparency is not supported)

Beyond that, I've got a heavily customized KDE 3.5.9 desktop: komposite,
transparency, icons, kwin rules, etc. For now, for -me-, KDE4 just
doesn't offer any killer feature that makes it worth while.

> > Having said all that, the development of KDE 4.1 is showing great
> > promise and unless something bad happens, it should be a viable KDE
> > 3.5.x replacement.
> >
> > As for me, I'm sticking with F8/3.5.9 (and CentOS5/3.5.9) - while
> > keeping a close eye on Rawhide/4.1. Once it 4.1 hits F9, I'll make the
> > switch.
> >
> The trouble with that approach is that the developers don't get the useful
> feedback.  There's only so much they can do without users.

I know, but the best that I can do (beyond switching to F9) is to keep
testing KDE4 on my rawhide machine until I consider it usable.

- Gilboa