Re: How to install nvidia drivers for 2.6.23.15-137 kernel?

> I have a hard time imagining how the NVIDIA driver can destroy a disk drive
> or the filesystems thereon. "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" does not apply here.

Seen cases it has. Any case where a complex bus mastering device driver
splatters the wrong things can cause corruption. Its a fundamental part
of the current PC architecture. Other previous good culprits have been
video capture cards - a frame of CNN arriving in the middle of the page
cache makes a mess ...

> Now, if you have a beef with NVIDIA's closed source drivers, that's fine,
> and you've got lots of company. But it's a *long* way from closed source
> drivers to a wasted disk or FS. It is simply implausible in the extreme that
> NVIDIA's display drivers toasted your disk or your filesystems.

Wrong. Sorry. It would be nice if it was so. It's very unlikely to have
been the cause of file system corruption but it is not entirely
implausible for it to eat file systems. Toasting disk hardware is another
matter - there aren't really many things you can even issue to a disk to
make it toast itself even if you want to.

The real test will be whether that box suddenly now becomes stable.

Alan