Re: Firewall question

Anne Wilson wrote:
In another thread Tim Evans said:

You can, however, configure iptables to *allow* only a specified list of
IP addresses (i.e., the ones you approve of).

This set me wondering. If you use wifi hotspots to collect mail, for instance, you have no idea what IPs you will be using. Is there any way that the system can recognise the computer rather than the IP? I'm guessing it must be possible, as my on-line bank knows immediately if I use a computer that I haven't used before.
I suspect that it recognizes your computer because of a cookie that is cached for their site.

Bradley