f9 evolution problems

I always have problems with evolution because I'm forced to use
exchange connector and it has always been problematic for me.
But in f9, evolution seems to have reached a new low.  While
I'm typing a message it will hang for 20 seconds.  When I try to
send a message it will sit in my outbox for long periods of time.
New messages that I know are on the exchange server (because
I see them in the web exchange interface) don't show up.
Rebooting back to f8 and pressing send immediately sends a
message that was in my outbox for minutes in f9.  Anybody
else having f9 evolution problems?

Is there any alternative to evolution for connecting to
exchange servers these days (aside from wine/Outlook)?
I need to have calendaring work including having meetings
I accept be correctly displayed as busy times when other
people look at my schedule.  I'd really like to ditch evolution.

Thanks,

           David