Re: yum update

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 15:20, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 09:56 -0400, Gene Poole wrote:
> > I started using yum to update my systems as-soon-as 'up2date' was no
> > longer supported.  So, I have friends and people I work with asking me
> > for a 'rule of thumb', which I don't know.  So, I'm asking the member of
> > this list:
> >
> >    What is the 'rule of thumb' for re-booting after the completion of the
> >    'yum -y update' command? How do you know if you should re-boot - if
> >    there is a kernel update? Should you reboot based upon what key
> >    components have been updated?  How do you know what's been updated if
> >    you schedule it to run at 2 AM?  Do you ever have to re-boot?
> >
> > I don't have a answer to these questions, do you?
>
> AFAIK there isn't a hard and fast rule. You need to look at what yum has
> updated. Thus if it changed the kernel or libc, you should reboot
> whenever convenient. If it changed an X driver or the X server, or the
> basic part of your desktop manager, you'll want to logout and in again,
> usually restarting X in the process. If it changed a running
> application, quit the app and restart it, etc. etc.
>
> I agree it would be nice for yum to tell you this explicitly.

If you install logwatch you will get a daily update of many activities,
including a section like this:
 --------------------- yum Begin ------------------------

 Packages Installed:
    kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686
    mozilla-filesystem-1.9-2.fc9.i386
    initscripts-8.76-1.i386
    adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch

 Packages Updated:
    upstart-0.3.9-19.fc9.i386
    libxslt-1.1.23-3.fc9.i386
    hal-libs-0.5.11-0.7.rc2.fc9.i386
    libdrm-2.4.0-0.11.fc9.i386
    libtdb-1.1.1-9.fc9.i386
    system-config-printer-0.7.82.2-4.fc9.i386
    6:kdelibs-common-4.0.3-7.fc9.i386
    xorg-x11-utils-7.3-3.fc9.i386
    kdebase-workspace-libs-4.0.3-20.fc9.i386
    mesa-libGL-7.1-0.29.fc9.i386
    nash-6.0.52-2.fc9.i386

 Packages Erased:
    event-compat-sysv