Lost fc7 boot loader

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Onelli" <
vonelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <
fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 50, Issue 223

pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>
fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

>> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 14:59 -0400, Vincent Onelli wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Is there any way to restore the boot loader? I made dome error,
>>> reinstalled the windows XP without first back up all the data in
>>> fedora.
>>> I have an HP Pavilion zv6000 with AMD athlon 64, 80 GB and 1GB of
>>> memory dual boot with windows and Fedora 7 (fc8 will not install in
>>> this computer, I also posted this problem but I did not get any
>>> answer) the HD is partition at 40GB each. I try to restore using fc7
>>> original disk used for installation but it does not restore the boot
>>> loader.
>>
>> Do you have a Rescue disk? If so, use it to boot, do
>> "chroot /mnt/sysimage" and then "/sbin/grub-install". If your
>> old /boot/grub.conf file is OK, grub should install the bootloader. You
>> might want to check that grub.conf has an entry for Windows so your dual
>> boot will still work.
>
>> poc
>>
> Thank you so much for the answer.
> On the command /sbin/grub-install it return a message:
> "install device not specified
> USAGE grub-install [OPTION] install device
> so I entered: "/sbin/grub-install fedora7" this time was ok, but on reboot
> start the windows only.
> what am I doing wrong?
>> ------------------------------
I finally realize that should be entered for the install device, so I repeated
the all process for the device I entered /dev/sda which went through fine,
and appears that regenerated the boot loader.
When boot it came up with the 3 selection just like was originally 2 line
for fc7 and 1 line for windows, windows is OK fc7 give me the following
message:
root (hd0,1)
filesystem type unknown
partition type 0xf  kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 r0
root=/dev/volGroup00/ rhgb quite
error 17: cannot mount selected partition.

I appreciate very much if any one can help me on this.
thank you so much in advance.

I posted the above message which I received confirmation but no answer yet. Am I to assume that there is no know solution to my problem? If such is the case, I will appreciate if some body will let me know thus I proceed with a new reinstallation. I was hoppening to some how with your help to recover the data files.
Thank you again.