Re: FC9 and KDE sound issues

Rex Dieter <rdieter <at> math.unl.edu> writes:
> The presence of PA may be confusing it (or not, I've never run without audio
> hw).  Besides, disabling PA on kde is relatively simple:
>
> rpm -e kde-settings-pulseaudio xine-lib-pulseaudio alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

There will still be the ALSA default device hack:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/kdelibs/F-9/kdelibs-3.97.0-alsa-default-device.patch?rev=1.1&view=markup
making Phonon think a sound device exists where there is none. I'm wondering if
we shouldn't drop that hack now that we have a working native PulseAudio
backend. The hack can still be useful for dmix users, but with PA being the
default, are there really more users using dmix than users with no sound
device? Making things just work for the former and annoying the heck out of the
latter is probably a bad tradeoff.

If we want to keep the ALSA default device hack, I guess one way to fix it
would be to add the device only if there's a physical sound device also
detected. That will do the right thing for dmix (there's no default in dmix if
there's no physical device underneath) (and also for most PA setups, but those
will want the native PA backend anyway - more precisely, the only setup I can
think of where there is a working ALSA default device with no physical device
is if you're using PA over the network, and if you can set that up, you can
also install the native backend). However, I think all this might not be worth
the trouble, dropping that patch is probably the best solution.

        Kevin Kofler