Re: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

John Thompson wrote:
On 2008-04-27, Charles Curley <charlescurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* I prefer XFCE or similar lightweight desktops for these machines. I
  can get XFCE with xubuntu. I see no Fedora analog.

XFCE is in Fedora Extras. If you select the Fedora Extras repo at install time, you can make XFCE your default desktop right from the start. Not that it's hard to change to XFCE after you've installed...
I read that someone was going to develop a low memory spin for FC9 using XFCE. Not clear what the timeframe on that is. I can probably look up where I saw it.

But Redhat distributions are definitely going to take more memory to install than some others, and unless there's a trick they don't take advantage of a swap partition for install, even if you prepartition a disk to provide it. I believe Slackware will install in 32MB, I know I ran old SLS and Slackware in 16MB, and without X in 12MB. Memory cost the earth in those days.

I have a 16MB Pentium laptop I'd love to use for just taking notes in text mode, and stuff like that, Fedora sure won't fit anymore. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>