Re: Kernel 2.6.23 hangs at "starting udev ..."

Forcey wrote:
Hi All,

I tried to install F8 on one of my servers, but it hangs at "starting
udev..." when booting. Kernel 2.6.23 for F7 has the same problem. Now
I'm still running the old 2.6.21-1 kernel, but I'm not comfortable
with it since there's a nf_conntrack bug. My hardware is listed as
following:

I know this is a common problem with laptops, and I tried a bundle of
solutions but none worked. Does anyone knows how to workaround this?

Thanks,
Forcey.

Hangs completely, or does it commence after 30s?

If the latter, try this build for Fedora 8 (if you are running F8): http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=48328

# rpm -Uvh 'http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/udev/118/2.fc8/i386/udev-118-2.fc8.i386.rpm'
or for x86_64
# rpm -Uvh 'http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/udev/118/2.fc8/x86_64/udev-118-2.fc8.x86_64.rpm'

reboot and add "modprobedebug" to the kernel command line in the grub boot screen.

Maybe we can catch a module, which causes udev to hang so long.