Re: Saving or converting HTML online form as a .pdf or .txt file

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 19:35 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've never messed with HTML before, but opened OO on fc2 (which is quite
> ancient, version-1.1.3) , opened the HTML page, which I'd saved to disk, and
> was able to add the requested info to the form. I then saved it as HTML, and
> printed it off again. Printing the page from the website gave me 2 pages. the
> first was the request for a birth certificate, and the 2nd, just a few lines
> saying "Print out this form", and where to send the money.
>
> After opening the page in OO, and adding the requested info, loads of lines
> were added, and now when printing out the saved as HTML document, I end up
> with 3 pages, 2 1/4 of which contain the original single page for the
> certificate request form.

OpenOffice is really behind the ball regarding HTML.  It's still stuck
in the prehistoric HTML 3 era, whereas HTML 4 has been the spec since
1999.  For the pedantics on the list, XHTML, the spec developed later,
is *NOT* HTML.  Similar, but not the "same".

It doesn't do a particularly good job of writing/editing HTML, and may
be messing things up for you.  If you simply want to print out the form,
I'd be inclined to load the HTML in OpenOffice, then convert to using it
like a word processor file (change from on-line to print view in the
menu), then edit the entire thing - cut out the stuff that doesn't need
printing, play with fonts and layout to fit it all onto one page, fake
form elements with text laid out in the same fashion, etc.

> Now I'm not into directly editing the HTML, and adding the required info, but
> may have a go, just for experience, but is there a way to save an HTML form
> to disk, and then convert it to a .pdf, which I can deal with using pdfedit.

There's various ways to save a PDF file of a webpage, such as the CUPS
PDF printer driver.  Not all of these ways will leave you with an
editable file.  Sometimes you get a graphic dump in a PDF file, rather
than formatted text.

> When I print the document from the website, it prints correctly, and perhaps
> I'm losing the plot here, but is there a way to, instead of sending the
> document to the printer, and getting a hard copy, I can somehow print the
> doc, and save it on the harddrive?

Print to file will give you a PostScript file of what would have been
sent to the printer.  If you can find something to edit PostScript, you
can go that way.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.