Re: moving /home , no joy

Tim:
>> I don't recall you saying how you copied /home over.  A file copy, a
>> disc block copy, something else?  "dd"ing a partition between drives
>> with different sizes might be a cause of your troubles.

Michael Hennebry:
> As root:
> cp -a /home/* .

Then that shouldn't have caused any problems with partitions.  Unless
you had strangely set up ones in the first place, and simply writing
files to one overwrote an important part of another.  But that seems
highly unlikely.  I suspect the partition errors came from something
other than the move/copy of the home files.

> When it was there it was *a* swap partition.
> There was one on each disk.

You only need one.  If your new drive is in addition to the old drive,
you can carry on using the old swap partition.

> Until I get things fixed, I'd like to make as few changes as are necessary
> to distinguish between problems and between problems and nonproblems.

When I moved drives around and had to make another initrd, I backed up
the prior one, made a new one, and that was it.  If I got it wrong, I'd
have just deleted the new one and reinstated the old one.

> If the resume complaint isn't actually a problem,
> can I just omit resume= to make fedora quit looking?

Putting an resume= parameter just tells it where to look, if the
information isn't specified elsewhere (or perhaps it'll look in both, I
haven't tested for that).

Not having a resume parameter won't stop it looking.  I don't have one,
and mine checks.  If you're not hibernating and resuming, it doesn't
matter.  Let it look for one and fail, it's not important.

But not having a swap partition *might* be a problem for other things
that you do with your computer.  It'll depend on how much memory they
use to do their jobs.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.