Re: Getting access out through gateway

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 12:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
> >  Is the problem with the laptop or the gateway box? Here are the
> > iptables rules.
>
> Which machine does those supplied rules apply to, and what are the
> rules
> for the other machine?

The previously posted rules apply to the gateway.  The following apply
to the laptop:

[root@acer ~]# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:bootps
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:bootps
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             192.168.122.0/24    state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.122.0/24     anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp
dpt:mdns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:nfs
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:nfs
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:http
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited
[root@acer ~]# iptables -L -t nat
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  all  --  192.168.122.0/24     anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
[root@acer ~]#

	I didn't think to check the laptop rules because the rejected packet
came from the gateway.  It looks like masquerading is setup on the
laptop also.  This should be off for the client?  I don't know where the
192.168.122.0/24 address came from, nor the 224.0.0.251 for that matter.

--
'ooroo
Simon