Re: FC8, Kernel and NetworkManager

Hello.

Sorry for late response. When I made my post I didn't even dream that
Cox himself would pick it up. I feel bit stupid now since after I
enabled NetworkManager in Services and booted init 3 it magically
worked. And after doing init 5 it was still working. Now that I have
played a bit it works mostly. Since after doing something like ~30 boots
today it only hung once with 2.6.24.5 kernel.

After I updated to 2.6.24.5 today and tested it in
system-config-services by just running NetworkManager, not really
enabling it to boot, it hung my system and that was when I decided to
write about it. After reading your mail I did the things you asked. I
also used this day to make couple youtube videos so that you can see
what happens here.

Here is boot with kernel 2.6.24.4 which makes NetworkManager to hang the
whole system for 99% sure. Most of the time it hungs like in video,
sometimes it manages to reach gdm screen and hungs in there. And I want
to highlight that it only happened once today with 2.6.24.5 kernel.

Fedora Core 8 - Problems with NetworkManager:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8POcm7sC_oI

> If you load the ralink module by hand does your machine misbehave ?
That
> might let people identify which driver is the problem if any.

rt2500_pci is not the cause for neither since I loaded it and it works.
Unfortunately I don't have wireless network now by hand so I cannot test
the connectivity. But otherwise device works like it should be working.
I see it in system-config-network as wlan0 and lsmod lists it's
components...

> 5 minutes would be a bug but it may be directly connected to the first
> problem ...

I think that this has been problem in Fedora ever since the introduction
of Udev. But in Fedora Core 8 it's been a lot more frequent and
annoying. I made youtube video of this one too. It happened for about 6
times out of ~30 boots. There ain't anything common between those six
boots or at least I am not aware if something is connecting them. We
need to think more of it.

Fedora Core 8 - Problems with udev:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xR63GYcZgog

Modprobe complains during Udev about these things occasionally:
FATAL: Error inserting dvb_bt8xx
FATAL: Error inserting snd-via82xx

bt8xx is the driver of my digitv pci card and it doesn't work at all
with 2.6.24.5. I wonder why does snd-via82xx work since I have disabled
that built-in device from BIOS and even Windows doesn't recognize it? My
primary soundcard is ESI Juli@ which is ice-1724 based device.

And one note, udev might take 2 minutes or 5 minutes or more, in video
it took 3-4 minutes to popup that warning. If I'd have let it be like
that it would have eventually start system anyway. But it's a lot faster
to just reset system and hope it works on next boot.

Sorry about picture quality. My camera is really old. I should have got
new one long time ago.

Thank you for listening me.

--
Antti Aspinen <antti.aspinen@xxxxxxxx>