Re: SCSI interface cards.

gary artim wrote:
Hi Roger / All  --

ls -la
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8130652160 2008-04-08 11:07 sys.dump

dd if=sys.dump of=/dev/null
15880180+0 records in
15880180+0 records out
8130652160 bytes (8.1 GB) copied, 28.5627 s, 285 MB/s

I did the test you recommend and got the above. I think I could come
close to flooding that interface. I was looking at the:

So long as that was coming off of the disk, and you don't have enough ram that some portion of it could be coming from the memory disk cache it is ok, on a machine with more than 8GB of ram if you just made the file, and/or did several tests there is a very high probability that all or part of it is coming from cache and a meaningless test.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103066

$200.00 (1) Adaptec 2250300-R PCIe x 1 SCSI 29320LPE Kit - new scsi
card to increase  bandwidth on lto4 tape system.
(my current card is U160/133 pci-x, but i have a PCIe x 1 free)

Keep in mind that PCIe x 1 is 2.5 Gbit per second (around 250MByte/second), actually slower than any typical PCIX slot at any speed (PCIX64 x 66 is 528MByte per second), so you may not get much more than with the U160 card that you started with.

I haven't found any major problems searching the web on this card. Do
you have a recommendation on a LSI card?

So long as you stay with Adaptec or LSI and make sure that the driver is in the default kernel (no add on drivers) you should be fine.

Thanks much for all you input, I'm mostly a lurker of the list, but
I've learned mucho and keep reading and learing!

-- Gary