Re: Problems during installation Fedora 8

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:41:37 -0300 (ART)
Ciro Quirino Siqueira <ciroqs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I´m trying to install Fedora 8 from DVD. The process hangs up on "Loading pata_via driver" screen.
>
>   Help me! My hard disk is an Samsung IDE 80G. I have the same problem with other distribuitions...

Well we can try, and the one advantage of Fedora is that I'm the person
who is maintainer for the driver in question 8) - assuming that is the
actual problem.

Can you try a couple of things to start with especially if this is an
older box

At the boot prompt "linux text noapic"

Also try

"linux text acpi=off"  (if 32bit not if 64bit)

And if both fail

"linux text libata.dma=0"

Finally if they all fail try

"linux text libata.dma=0 irqpoll"

More detailed hardwar einformation would be useful as well - which VIA
chipset, what other devices are present etc. If you are not sure how to
find that out then the vendor/model of the machine is probably enough I
can dig it out.

Alan