Re: ldconfig vs f8 ????

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Can anyone explain the reason why F8, by default, does not include
>> /usr/local/lib in its working pathlist?
>
>Because nothing in Fedora uses /usr/local/lib.
>
>> I just had to add another file naming it in /etc/ld.so.conf.d
>
>Your fingers must be sore after all that typing. ;-)
>
>> I don't recall ever having to do that in any previous incarnations
>> of fedora, it was always there.
>
>I don't recall it being there in any Fedora release.  It's not in F7
>that I can see.  What makes you say it is?  What file(s) is it
>included in?

I was trying to build pfmon for the 2.6.25 kernel, and by default, it put all
the libraries in /usr/local exactly as any good tarball install should do.
But when I built the kernel and rebooted to it and then tried to build the
utility itself, its Makefile included the correct links to allow it to build.
But the installed build could not then find its libraries because the path to
them was not in the working pathlist for ldconfig.  That seems almost like an
immature attempt at vendor lock in to me and leaves a bad taste.

I added it, but now I seem to be lost in a shimmering cloud of acronyms as it
now says the PMU in my machine is not supported.  No mention of it in any of
the Makefiles for pfmon.  I'm assuming its a memory manager.  And as this
board has run relatively well for about 4 years now, I have to assume that
the AMD XP-2800 & NForce2 chipset it uses does have such a beastie.

So what exactly is a PMU?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene