Re: How to find/change machine name

On Wed April 30 2008, Bob Latham wrote:

> Yes, I've stopped the banner now and as I wrote earlier it says "SELinux
> is preventing the Samba daemon from reading user's home directories."
>
> > and suggestions on commands to run to fix them
>
> It seems to offer no suggestions about how to get around that.

So, you're running Gnome, is what those options are telling you, and others
have explained the use of 'Ctl-c';

I don't use Gnome, but, I'm sure that setroubleshoot works the same under
Gnome as it does under KDE; when I get the flashing banner, on my desktop, a
star icon appears in my lower right panel in what is sometimes called the
system tray area - it is gold in color and five pointed. Clicking on that
should open a GUI with several sections to it. The top will describe your
problem in summary; the second will be a more detailed description; the third
should offer you command suggestions for allowing access:

For example, I was getting this:

Summary
SELinux is preventing the samba daemon from serving r/o local files to remote
clients.
Detailed Description
SELinux has preventing the samba daemon (smbd) from reading files on the local
system. If you have not exported these file systems, this could signals an
intrusion.
Allowing access
If you want to export file systems using samba you need to turn on the
samba_export_all_ro boolean: "setsebool -P samba_export_all_ro=1". The
following command will allow this access:setsebool -P samba_export_all_ro=1

So, running that command changed the selinux policies to allow the access; you
have to be root to run that command

If you can't see the star icon, look in your menus for setroubleshoot and that
should open the window I'm talking about...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA