Re: Cleanest way to upgrade F7 to F9 (when the time comes)

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:11:53 -0400
> "McGuffey, David C." <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > What is the cleanest way to upgrade from version to version (e.g.,
F7 to
> > F9 (when it arrives)?
>
> Make a backup and do a CD or DVD upgrade. You shouldn't need to use
the
> backup but its always handy for "worst case" situations.
>
> You can do live upgrading but that is a much less tested path and best
> done with a bit of experience.
>
> > Will I run into any conflicts if I do a fresh install of F9, create
the
> > user accounts and groups (keeping the same uid and gid), untar the
home
> > folders, and pull back the key config files?
>
> Probably not.
>
> > When I tar the home folders, should I preserve the selinux context?
>
> If you've not set any specific ones then forcing a relabel should be
> quite sufficient.
>
> Alan

Thanks for the response.

Other than adding selinux attributes to the mounted partition that is
shared out by samba, I haven't made any selinux changes.

I'll tidy up all the Windoze files onto the drive shared by samba,
dismount it, save any other data to the USB disk, and do a DVD upgrade.
If something goes wrong, I'll have the data to restore.

There is actually plenty of space on the samba share (an ex3 partition),
that I may just tar the user and config data I want to save there, and
not worry about the USB disk.

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM
SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD