Re: How to find/change machine name

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 12:24 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> As predicted I'm back with another unbelievably trivial question but I
> cannot find an answer. I am trying to get SAMBA shares working and
> failing miserably and I wanted to check the server name but having
> looked in every corner of the desktop and searched the help files I
> can find no clue as to how to find it or better yet change it.

To check what it is, just look at a command prompt, it's usually there.
Or just typing in the "hostname" command will tell you, the machine name
will be the first word (up to the first dot), the rest is the domain
name.

You can tell Samba to use a particular machine name for itself, but
it'll have to resolve to an IP, its own IP for that to work.  And that
resolution will have to work on all machines talking to each other with
Samba.

By default, Samba will use your machine's hostname.  But, as I said
above, that name will have to resolve to an IP for all machines on the
Samba LAN.

If you want to change the machine name, then the hostname can make
temporary changes (they're not saved, it just changes for now), or you
can play with the /etc/sysconfig/network file for permanent settings.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.