Re: Network anomalies since F8 install

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 19:04 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 20:32 +1000, Simon Slater wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure of Network Manager works this way, but some other systems
> > > will re-use the last IP they had, as a default.
> > >
> > > You are certain the daemon isn't running?
> > >
> > service avahi-daemon status returns Avahi daemon is not running and
> > chkconfig --list has it off for all runlevels.
> >
> > > I haven't seen any good information about how Network Manager works, I
> > > wonder if it also uses link-local addresses, internally.
> > >
> > What I've found as NM docs is fairly superficial.  There must be some
> > somewhere.
>
> Try looking in your desktop menu for "services" or "service management"
> which will kick up a nice little gui. It'll show if "Network Manager"
> and "Network Manager Dispatcher" are off. If so, stop them, and save the
> configuration rules. Before you do anything, click on "Edit Run Level"
> and select the last choice, "ALL" so you can see what is enabled at each
> run level. It might be set to run on level 3 and not on level 5, which
> might be a problem. I find it on my KDE menu under "Administration".
> Great little application. Ric

	Unfortunately your mail didn't get through 'till this afternoon.  I've
already disabled NM & NMDispatcher using chkconfig and turned network
service on.

	I can now ping other boxes on the LAN and visa versa, but can't get out
through the router.  IP forwarding is on.  Found something funny in the
iptables of the router, so I'm going to check that thoroughly next.
Strange thing is that all worked fine before re-installing F8.  A few
other things don't work now either that did before, but if I can get out
through the router then can yum update.

--
'ooroo
Simon