Re: Sound input problems on Shuttle SN68PTG5

Tim wrote:

Just in case it helps, I've seen a similar thing with Audacity on all
the PCs that I've run it on (each with different hardware).  With no
audio input, the VU meters show one channel wildly fluttering about, and
with increased gain over the other.  With a signal, it's somewhat
similar (fluttering meter, mismatched left versus right gain, but the
audio records pretty much okay).  In the end, I plugged the computer
into a real audio mixer, ran tests to find the nominal and clipping
levels, then ignored the metering on the computer.

Thanks for your thoughts. The PC I've replaced with the new Shuttle one doesn't seem to have this problem and I have used it for converting some old cassette recordings to OGG-Vorbis. That just had an ancient 2-channel Soundblaster card. The audacity meters worked pretty much as you would expect. I may yet raid it for that card and dump the on-board on the Shuttle.

I have tried ignoring the meter and recording using this chipset, but the noise is worse than I would get on a cheap tape recorder, and only records on the left channel, which is useless. Running under Vista it records quite acceptably. Hurumph!