Re: Network anomalies since F8 install

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 15:57 +0930, Tim wrote:
> max bianco:
>
> Tim:
> >> In Fedora's case, it's usually called Avahi.
>
> Ric Moore:
> > huh, I had thought ZeroConf died and blew away way back in the Caldera
> > days. It was a good idea, but was cussed widely at the time. Ric
>
> I would have thought that Caldera lived and died before the name
> "ZeroConf" got applied to link-local addresses, but I can't be sure.

ZeroConf was then a beta Universal Can Opener for providing a gui to
just about all network admin matters. Now, as then, if you dinked around
with setting network configs to rights, by hand edits, it would blow up
in some very interesting ways. Back then, hand-edits were far more the
norm, so we tended to be more "excitable" (read riotous) when it
resisted accommodating us. There was many a dry eye in the house, at
it's demise. It was gone somewhere before the last couple of Caldera
releases.

I thought Wabi was about the slickest thing I've ever seen. Win3.1 ran
faster on Linux much quicker than it did under DOS. Caldera did some
pretty neat stuff and made some pretty good industry deals. I ran
Netscape server for quite awhile, and it was easy as anything to use for
a total idiot who found Apache daunting. Each install of Caldera got a
licensed copy of it. Yes, you had to check the "yes" box to accept their
license terms. But, you paid four times for Caldera what a boxed set of
RH cost, back then. It was pretty much a "Republican" crowd there.
<grins> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar