Fedora for the blind?

Hi,
does anybody have some information how Fedora and linux distros in
general are for usable for blind people?
I heard that speech recognition isn't really working on linux but what
is the state of screen readers/speech synthesis ?
How about braile printers and braile keyboards - how do they work on
fedora and linux in general?
Has anybody heard or some great story how linux is used by blind
people? Can you please share links and any info that you have.

My niece is 80% blind and she uses some really expensive software (on
windows) and hardware so that she can use the PC and at my former
university they are starting a class for educating blind people to use
PC-s but with windows and some additional expensive software for blind
people. I would like to make a project so that they use fedora as a
desktop instead if it is possible.

Thank you,
Valent.

--