Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

--- Bob Kinney <bc98kinney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- On Sun, 4/27/08, David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > From: David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves
> > To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 6:21 PM
> > Tim wrote:
> > > Tim:
> > handful of users taking an
> > >
> > > Francis Earl:
> > complaining about the contents
> > It's just lazy and/or
> > >
> > > Do I really need to spell it out?  In the red
> corner
> > we have a company
> > > that has taken a stand on what they will and
> won't
> > do.  In the blue
> > > corner we have a user that has taken a stand
> that if
> > the system doesn't
> > > do what they think it should do, to hell with
> them...
> > >
> > > Both sides are posturing about principles, but
> > he's no David, and
> > > Goliath isn't disturbed.
> >

> > The true difference here is that 'the company' can
> > be sued for doing things
> > that are illegal. And they, 'the company', chose
> > not to do those things. And
> > that they also have standards and principles that
> they
> > chose to follow.
> > Clearly stated. Open to view. Often repeated.
> >
> > The user is unhappy about that and knows of other
> > distributions that don't
> > care if they do things that are illegal and that
> don't
> > have standards and
> > principles. The user, if he wishes to remain with
> Fedora,
>
> <snip>
>
> My impression is that the RedHat chose to remove the
> functionality because  there was no unencumbered
> license for the MP3 and other proprietary media
> codecs, which could put them at *risk* for legal
> action or ridiculous
> demands.  This seems like a wise business move on
> their part.
>
> But I don't think that from this decision, one
> should conclude that the
> other distros are doing anything illegal.
>

> --bobcat

Many users will agree to that :)

BTW Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, *buntu do not include
mp3 playback from the very beginning, but they are
easy to add supposedly.  The other distros that do
include the mp3 playback, have not been sued, or I do
not know of any that has.  What is illegal about
including the code?

The codecs can be downloaded and installed, the
players can be compiled/or yummed in from the
third-party repos.  Have any third-party repos been
sued?

On the main wiki page for Fedora:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

Towards the very bottom there it says the following:
<quote>
Fedora is a trademark of Red Hat.
 The Fedora Project is maintained and driven by the
community and sponsored by Red Hat.
 This is a community-maintained site. Red Hat. is not
responsible for its content.
</quote>

The mp3 examples

Fedora's stance
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/MP3?highlight=%28mp3%29

If Fedora were not sponsored by Red Hat, mp3 playback
would probably be included on Fedora and users did not
have to complain.  If they included it by
mistake/choice at one point the line at the bottom
should save them from potential lawsuits

<quote>
 This is a community-maintained site. Red Hat. is not
responsible for its content.
</quote>

There are the Forbiden Items as well
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems

We should all know having run Fedora for a while.  I
am just wondering why at one point it was said that
since Fedora is a community project different from Red
Hat and although it is supported by Red Hat, the
possible inclusion of the Forbiden Items could become
a reality.  It might have been a dream, but oh well
many users are leaving Fedora because of it.

Here the Goliath is Red Hat according to some, but it
should be MS because Red Hat as many have stated they
go for servers and make their money off them by
providing support.  The desktops come with M$
preinstalled and they are to this point the true
Goliath.  The David's of the world, *buntus, Fedora,
PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, ** put a linux here **, have to
unite together in order to put a stone on Goliath's
head so that the beast has to fall.  It will be a very
hard battle and many refuse to unite.  It is because
many are divided, that MS will not go down.  Some say
apple computers will get more users, but the costs are
still high and users will have to look at other
options.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Antonio