Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:35 -0400, max wrote:
>  > Da Rock wrote:
>  > > On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:58 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >> Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > >>         Paul Shaffer wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >>         > This is the attitude that will eventually marginalize Fedora
>  > >>         into a
>  > >>         > non-issue:
>  > >>
>  > >>         I humbly disagree. There's a right and a wrong way to do
>  > >>         things, and I'm
>  > >>         glad fedora chooses to take the higher-ground.
>  > >>
>  > >>         -- Rex
>  > >>
>  > >>
>  > >> Taking the higher ground means keeping your feet dry.
>  > >>
>  > >> But if you want help/rescue the drowning user
>  > >>  (e.g. Laptop users, some desktoppers),  you have to be willing to
>  > >> get your feet wet!     :-)
>  > >
>  > > Indeed. And even by your count thats a handful versus the world in
>  > > computing... I'd say thats marginalized.
>  > >
>  > What's with the defeatist attitude?still harboring bitterness against
>  > M$? Forget M$!
>  >

>  No, I am by no means a defeatist.
>
>  I mean marginalized against every other platform and distro out there-
>  including unix. Hell, even FreeBSD (another completely free software
>  organisation) makes it easier to access the software people want.
>  Getting it to operate correctly is another matter... but at least it is
>  made available easily to the end user.

So use the others if they suit your needs better. I discovered this
distribution on my own. Nobody recommended to me that it was the "one"
to use. I like it. I like that it doesn't include proprietary software
and I don't see any reason for Fedora to go out of the way to
accommodate non-free software, especially when the proprietary
software makers do everything they can to make sure free software
dies. Why should anyone hate free software? It empowers people, you
think in terms of playing music and opening word docs, there are
plenty of distros that cater to that, that is their right, that is not
what I want on my desktop. So what, I ask you, is wrong with one
distribution out of hundreds taking a principled stand?Is that not
their right? If you don't like Fedora then don't use it. Why are you
using Fedora anyway?

Max