Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 13:54 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Francis Earl wrote:
> >
> > Who is that helping? You think users would continue to use AAC (iPOD) or
> > MP3 etc if they knew they do not own that media they just paid $1 for?
>
> If we leave DRM out of the picture (and AAC doesn't necessarily imply
> DRM) there's no difference in these formats than in any other forms used
> for consumer sales.  That is, if you buy a CD or DVD, there are
> licensing fees involved for the devices that play them.  Those do not
> really have much to do with the concept of your ownership of the
> physical media.

Your points here are valid of course. The artist should be able to
choose how they distribute their media.

Think about the case where I save myself saying something as an MP3 or
WAV or whatever. Is it then right that the patent holders for those
codecs own that voice sample? No. Currently though, they would.

That is why the Xiph Foundation exists, they develop codecs that do not
have such restrictions.

> > Users do that willingly though, and complain if they're not able to be
> > ripped off in such ways. That is what RedHat is fighting in the consumer
> > space, and why they aren't willing to invest millions trying to appeal
> > to these people.
>
> RedHat can hardly complain about restrictions on additional copies of
> music when they place the same kind of restriction on the software they
> distribute, requiring it to only be installed on a single computer.

RedHat also releases their entire source code freely for each of their
releases, so you can simply use CentOS if you don't agree with their
terms. Only thing you lose is their support, and a few pretty pictures
are replaced.