Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

> Apparently some of the MP3 patents are supposedly
> dying out, but not so soon :(
>
> http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-of-mp3-patents/20070226/

I was under the impression they were expiring around 2010, thank you for
that link. The big one there is Alcatel-Lucent as they are the guys
really throwing their muscle around.

> As for the apple Ipod, and others they can get hacked
> and unpaid music can be placed onto them.  I have some
> students that are very bright in this area, they put
> music onto cell phones without paying for the music.
> They are sharp with computers and electronics but ask
> them about academics and they do not answer.  They do
> need to be dissapointed with Apple as they do not care
> what they do, they know that someone, somewhere is
> working to ensure that they can do other things that
> Apple did not want them to do. :)

While such things are always possible, it doesn't make it a good thing.
You can actually get your iPod working on your Linux box though, it is
the codecs and the related copyrights that are bad. Just because your
students get away with breaking the law, doesn't mean it would be smart
for RedHat to facilitate that...