Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Antonio Olivares wrote:
I find the comment interesting as well here

Why should I be interested in a distribution
that makes it difficult for me to make my own choices about whether a license is acceptable
or not? I don't have a problem with downloading my
own copy of any particular code from any particular
place under any conditions that I find acceptable.

It is very legitimate.  If something does not work the
way you want it, you have to go your own way and while
Fedora does not open the doors fully open, it does not
close the doors to you either.

So you like it because it's not quite impossible to do what you want?

If some software is illegal, what will the big guys do
to a little guy?  Will they sue me because I have
nonfree stuff?

If they had any sense, they would arrange simple ways for you to get legal, licensed copies. And the OS would go out of its way to make sure that the one such copy you obtain continues to run for at least the life of your machine. With Java, getting the copy is matter of accepting the form as you download from the Sun site - getting fedora to recognize that you have a JVM installed for the packages that need one is a whole different matter.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx