Re: mounted device icons not appearing in F9 (rawhide)

On Friday 25 April 2008 04:46:03 Richard England wrote:
> I have what I believe is a fully updated rawhide F9 installation with
> NFS functioning.
>
> I have entries in /etc/fstab and the   "mount /mnt/foo"  commands work
> as expected and data is accessible on the mounted drives (mounted from
> other systems on my internal home network).
>
> The only issue I'm seeing is that the desktop icons are not appearing on
> the F9 system.
>
> The mounts are being done by opening a new terminal and su'ing to root.
> In past release this caused the desktop icons to appear. Is anyone else
> seeing this behaviour?  Any suggestions on where to investigate?
>
> I was unsuccessful locating anything resembling this on Bugzilla.

I'm not sure that we are going to get the desktop icons - and I for one do
prefer them, for their visibility.  In F9 a widget pops up when such a device
is inserted, and in that widget you elect to open it in dolphin.  You can
configure the length of time that the widget stays visible.

The question I asked was how to umount it.  I was told that it is done within
dolphin - the icon in the left-hand panel.  It works, no doubt about it, but
I don't like it much.  For one thing, it feels clumsy in the extreme to open
it by one method and then use a totally unrelated method to umount it.

Anne