Re: safely remove USB hard drive

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 17:54 +0000, g wrote:

> i started in computers in early 60's with punch card, later to main frames and
> minis, then to micros with s100 in 70's.
>
> in s100, i started with cdos, cromemco's z80 enhanced version of cpm, then to
> cromix, a version of bsd.
>
> thru all of this, i have learned one thing, cyoa, cover your own ass.
>
> during early days, when ever i had need to unmount a disk, i first use sync
> several times to flush buffers.

Despite my earlier post, I now remember doing this too.

> later years, yes, sync was supposed to be automatic. but, that is *supposed
> to be automatic*, but not a guarantee and i still use sync to insure that
> buffers are flushed.

A careful check of the man pages shows no mention of sync in relation to
umount (neither the command nor the syscall). This is surprising but it
appears to be not part of the spec. Doesn't mean most implementations
don't do it of course, but it's apparently not a requirement.

poc