Re: Increasing font rendering

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 23:39 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> he situation is better, but still far from what it was before: the way
> Firefox renders the fonts is rather mediocre. I have tried all
> suggestion that you gave me, but the progress is not perfect. Any
> further ideas? Regarding fonts everything was fine till I Installed
> msttcorefonts and rebooted.

Well, have you tried removing those fonts?  I've found some Microsoft
fonts to be rather poor looking.  Likewise if I've installed some other
fonts that didn't come with Linux.

Usually, we don't have them, and our browsers will use whatever font it
feels appropriate (which usually look good).  But if a webpage calls for
a crappy font, and you have it, it'll use it.

Some fonts seem designed to look good when used with certain types of
anti-aliasing techniques, and look bad when you don't have that type, or
none at all.  Other's seem quite good without any anti-aliasing, then
get smudgey if you try it.

I notice that the drivers for my NVidia card also add some anti-aliasing
and softening/sharpening options.  I haven't played with them much,
other than deliberately seeing how bad they can make things look.  There
could be other factors on your computer that are making fonts look bad
for you.

Generally, I find things look very good on Fedora with the defaults, a
bit better when I played with the font rendering options.  Firefox looks
a bit worse, but not staggeringly.  Likewise with Opera, it seems that
quite a few web browsers do their own font rendering, independently of
the system.  Medium weight fonts look a bit worse than normal or bold,
likewise with certain sizes.

They look a lot better on a CRT screen than LCD, and that's because the
LCDs are a lower resolution and unable to smooth across pixels in the
way that CRTs do naturally.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.