Re: F8 update kills KDE

TNWestTex wrote:
After being on vacation, I thought to catch up with the updates for F8. Rebooting to the updated system and KDE is hosed. The xserver starts and
the initialization begins but drops back to the command console.  There seem
to be two elements to the problem.  Something called PolicyKit is suddenly
active and blocking access to some elements and there are missing .so files. The messages are
--------------
W: polkit.c: Failed to show grant dialog: Unable to lookup exe for caller
W: polkit.c: PolicyKit responded with 'auth_admin_keep_always'
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was
requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us
priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate
PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the
RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
xset:  bad font path element (#94), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kcminit_startup: error while loading shared libraries:
libkdeinit_kcminit_startup.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeinit_ksmserver.so:
startkde: Shutting down...
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 17877, errno = 11
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.
Tried tweaking the group file and looked at man PolicyKit.conf to get the
stanza for authorizing access to resources.  The same errors repeat.

Why did PolicyKit come to the foreground?

Where did the .so files go?

Looks like a conspiracy as switchdesk gnome gets me to the graphical
display.

Robert McBroom
I wish I had something useful to offer here but I tried KDE on Fedora when I first loaded F7. Second class ctizen. It appears that is still the case. Perhaps the Fedora KDE lovers are not vocal enough...

Max