Re: Samba won't dance [Solved - sort of]

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 08:22 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> These Samba discussions come up again and
> again on this list, so it's not just me that's having problems.
----
I am a samba team member and I will say...

- samba has a configuration section with over 200 options, each
substantially covered in the man page.

- samba.org web site offers 2 massive books, free for
examination/download or available at your favorite bookseller in dead
tree form called 'Samba 3 HowTo' and 'Samba By Example' which cover
virtually every setting/possibility but few people actually want to make
the investment of time to go through them. I have no problem stating
that these 2 books are the class of Open Source documentation.

- samba endeavors to provide both a client and a server function with
all of those preferences in an attempt to achieve a mostly undocumented
set of protocols.

- samba provides authentication via an incredible variety of systems
including the standard /etc/passwd, it's own version of /etc/passwd
called smbpasswd, a more robust db system called tdb, kerberos, LDAP or
can shuffle the authentication off to a genuine Windows domain
controller (and thus, via winbindd). There is no other open source
package that is as versatile.

- samba provides interconnectivity features ranging from Windows 95/98
sharing, to the latest CIFS protocols of Windows 2003 Server and all
versions in between.

- samba achieves all of this on a UNIX/Linux platform with the various
constraints that it poses.

- samba has its own mail lists, the primary users list is very active
and it appears that people on all Linux and UNIX installations have
various configuration issues...it's not a Fedora thing.

Fedora adds the complexity of SELinux but I think that is not a major
hurdle.

I'm glad you solved your problem

Craig