Re: Hosed Grub with the push of a button

Jim Webb wrote:
max wrote:
I hosed grub. I need to fix it. I booted from fedora rescue. I chroot to /mnt/sysimage. All good. I tried :

grub-install  /dev/sda

The  file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly

tried:

grub-install /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly

tried:

cd /boot/grub

cat stage1

output maybe human readable by some humans but not this one.

So far I can still see all the user files so I can backup and reinstall but that wouldn't teach me anything.
All suggestions/insults/how-to's welcome.

Max

Max,
I looked this up on Red Hat's KBase:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Installation_Guide/s2-rescuemode-boot-reinstall-bootloader.html

Hope this helps,
Jim

Thanks for the link but i had tried that and it didn't work. The following explains why but I don't see an easy way to do it, i'll do it the hard way , its the only option left, I need some help on best method or whether its even possible.

From rescue cd, l let me outline what i see like a terminal :

sh-3.2# chroot /mnt/sysimage
sh-3.2# cd boot
sh-3.2#ls
boot grub (there shouldn't another boot directory should there?Also no config files, no initrd, no system map,no vmlinuz, will copying from another f8 be good enough to restore these, i would guess yes but I am getting hungry so i'll deal with that first, i should have noticed these missing yesterday but it was late etc....rest of this probably doesn't matter but for the sake of thoroughness i'll go through everything anyway)

sh-3.2#cd grub
sh-3.2#ls
device.map		ffs_stage1_5		reiserfs_stage1_5	vstafs_stage1_5
device.map.backup  iso9660_stage1_5	stage1				xfs_stage1_5
e2fs_stage1_5		jfs_stage1_5		stage2
fat_stage1_5		minix_stage1_5		ufs2_stage1_5

I notice as I type this that menu.lst, menu.lst.backup, and splash.xpm.gz are all missing, i'm not quite sure how to regenerate them, I could copy them from my other box but menu.lst won't be identical.....i'll have to think about that one but without missing files in boot what does it matter?Missing files would explain why grub says it can't find stage1, presumably it needs the missing files in /boot to locate stage1

If you remember I noticed another boot directory inside /boot

sh-3.2#cd /
sh-3.2#cd boot
sh-3.2#ls
boot 	grub
sh-3.2#cd boot
sh-3.2#ls
grub

sh-3.2#cd grub
sh-3.2#ls

device.map		ffs_stage1_5		reiserfs_stage1_5	vstafs_stage1_5
				  iso9660_stage1_5	stage1				xfs_stage1_5
e2fs_stage1_5		jfs_stage1_5		stage2
fat_stage1_5		minix_stage1_5		ufs2_stage1_5

It is the same as the contents of the other grub directory minus the device.map.backup. I don't think this directory should exist at all but it may have been created by my earlier attempts to fix grub. While I don't think it should be there, i don't think it should cause a problem because I never told grub to look in /boot/boot/grub , without the missing files from /boot i think i'm screwed. Will copying these from another f8 do the trick? I think that is the question of the moment. I am thinking yes because these boxes are updated to the same point(i've complied a kernel or two so i think it will work) but how much trouble will it cause? Well I'm off to dinner. All suggestion, insults, etc

Thanks

Max