Re: Samba won't dance (more info)

Tim:
>> The origins of SMB predates the common use of TCP/IP and DNS in a
>> LAN, hence why it has other methods, and used to (if it doesn't
>> still) default to using other techniques.

Les:
> I don't know about the rest of your content here, but TCP/IP predates
> SMB by nearly 20 years.

Yes, TCP/IP existed before SMB.  But since we're chiefly talking about
Windows networking, SMB's origins (e.g. LAN manager) typically used
other protocols (NetBEUI, for instance) long before it was run over
TCP/IP.

Microsoft's use of TCP/IP with their systems on a LAN was a later thing.
It was quite some time after Win95's birth before TCP/IP would become
the usual protocol underneath SMB (at that stage, TCP/IP was still a
user-configured add-on).  Even if you installed file sharing, it would
be yet another user-choice to use TCP/IP instead of another protocol.

I missed out on making it more clear I'm talking about SMB on a LAN, and
Microsoft Windows LANs, not just LANs.  i.e. Windows networking.  But I
was talking about the "origins of "SMB," not the origins of LANs.  And
back then, TCP/IP wasn't what they were usually using.

It was quite typical for your Windows networking to be done all over a
NetBEUI protocol.  And if you also wanted internet, you'd do that
separately over TCP/IP.  SMB seemed to work much better over NetBEUI
(none of this "can't find the other machine" hassles), and you isolated
your LAN traffic from internet traffic more (NetBEUI doesn't traverse a
subnet), so you couldn't accidentally share your drive over the net.

> Also SMB is a file serving process or protocol, not a networking
> protocol which TCP/IP is.

I know.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.