Does evince print large pdfs for you? It won't for me, but acroread will!

In Fedora 7, we have had a problem crop up lately on some laser
printers (not all laser printers).  WHen users try to print pdf
documents from Evince, the printer flashes "processing document" but
never finishes.  Until today, the jobs would pile up in the print
queue and the system would start to act as if the printer was not
enabled. I mean, in system-config-printer, the "enabled" box would
become unchecked.  After updating cups today, I found that the pdf
print jobs from evince do not "clog" up the printer, they just
disappear from the print queue.  The printer stays enabled, it just
fails silently after flashing "processing document".  That's better
than turning off the "enabled" status, but not by much.

However, the Adobe Acrobat reader does open and print all the pdfs.

We have tested sending files to the printer with "lpr file.pdf" and it
works only on small files.

I don't understand why more people are not complaining.  This makes me
think it is a problem of a particular kind of printer, since some
printers here work, some don't.  One that does not is a HP laser 4050
with 4 meg of memory, while one that does work is an HP Laser 4M with
4 meg memory.  There are no errrors in the /var/log/cups files, just
lists of files printed.

I searched in the fedora bugzilla and there's nobody there complaining
that Evince won't print in this way, but I did google more broadly and
I find users from other Linuxes talking about it.

Here's the Ubuntu complaint

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/44989

There is a lot of wild guessing about what might be wrong.  Is the
finger of blame pointing at CUPS, pdftops, dbus, poppler-utils, xpdf,
or what?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science