Re: No Network

Luke Sheldrick wrote:
Hi all,

I use fedora 8 on a couple of my remote servers, desktops and my laptop, and all are absolutely fine.

Tonight I set out to build a new NAS server, and again used FC8, this time however I install x.

The problem now is, the box is unreachable until I log in at the terminal, I assume this is something to do the the NM Applet needs to load?

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks

I presume that you mean that it does not respond to the network which means that the network script wasn't run at boot time, at least usually it does.

Ensure that the file /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network exists and is a symbolic link to /etc/init.d/network. If it does exist then I don't understand the problem and if it doesn't exist you may have answered some installation question incorrectly. If it doesn't exist go ahead and make the link and see what happens when you reboot. That should make the system accessible but it won't do anything about logins and other stuff.

John Cornelius
Cardiff by the Sea