Re: Samba won't dance (more info)

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 12:33 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> This whole exercise was brought on by my wish to share my HP laser
> printer on my Fedora box with the Windows machines on the network.

Last time I did that, I did it this way:

Set up the Linux box as a CUPS server in the usual way.  Other Linux
boxes printed to it in the way that CUPS manages by itself.  Configure
the Windows box to use a printer over HTTP.  This doesn't involve Samba,
at all.

Whatever address your printer is at, when you go through the CUPS web
configuration page.  e.g. http://printbox.lan:631/laserjet  That's the
address that you set into the Windows box as the location for the
network printer.

Some diddling around was required at both ends to either have the
Windows box send pre-rendered graphics, using its own printer driver for
that model printer, and having Linux accept pre-rendered data to the
printer (a raw queue).  Or to try it the other way:  Have Windows send
PostScript data to the CUPS server, and have CUPS speak the printer's
own language.

But, all this is by the by until you fix up your other networking
issues.  All the computers have to be able to reach each other, before
you bother with trying to set up clients and servers between them.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.