Re: Samba won't dance (more info)

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:10 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I've noticed that sometimes, changes you make to Samba networking
> don't 'take' instantly, even when you restart smb and nmb services

That's the nature of the beast.  Changes don't happen instantly, and
changes invoke another contest round for who gets to be the master,
which can introduce a lot of delays.  Dynamic DNS will make things worse
(DHCP that doles out the same IPs to the same machines should be the
same as static IPs).

Watching a friend's all-XP network, over a number of years, has shown me
that SMB doesn't work any better in its native environment (frequent
breakdowns in traffic part way through use, unable to see other
computers on the network, etc.).

As I've been watching this thread, name resolution sprang to mind as the
first thing:  What method is used (hosts, DNS, lmhosts) in which order,
and whether they have the answer.  And SELinux booleans related to
Samba.

But being unable to ping some machines sounded like more basic
networking issues at hand (hint:  make use of the audio options of the
ping command - if you're working on the network throughout the house,
you can hear the results of behind the desk, or in the next room, cable
fumbling when you can't see the screen).

Elsewhere in your responses you commented about the topology of your
network, and I'm wondering if you're trying to work across what's really
more than one subnet, while treating it as if it's all one subnet.  That
rather depends on how your wireless set-up is set up.

We're yet to see your smb.conf files.  You should probably post both the
problem one, and the one that used to work fine for you.

It's been ages since I've bothered with Samba.  But I used to on a
network with fixed and dynamic IPs.  That had an integrated DNS server
that resolved all internal addresses correctly, and no computers had
their hostname or domain name on the 127.0.0.1 line in the hosts file.
All computers were on the same physical subnet.  All Samba
configurations in the same workgroup (a single all-upper-case word).
One machine set to be the master browser, WINS server, and DNS proxy for
them rest.  Others deliberately configured not to be masters.  Samba
"hosts allow" set to the network address (192.168.1.), likewise for
"interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24", remote browse sync and remote announce
addresses set appropriately, name resolve order = host wins lmhosts
bcast.  And that generally worked fine across several different Linuxes
and Windows releases.  I got mine working looking through man smb.conf
and the smb.conf file as originally installed.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.