canonical approach to shared sound?

I do the not-so-rare "trick" of having two X sessions running, allowing
ctrl-alt-f7 / ctrl-alt-f8 to be a very painless fast-user-switch.

In order for this to work, I want more lax permissions on the sound devices.
(All members of group "sndshare" get access.) Previously, this was
accomplished by changing the settings for the <sound> device class in a file
in /etc/security/console.perms.

That device class no longer exists in that file. I assume this is because
there is some new special modern udev way of accomplishing the same goal.
But, since all of the udev .rules files contain the line "# do not edit this
file, it will be overwritten on update", I'm not quite sure where is proper.

Plus, the 40-alsa-rules doesn't seem to be quite comprehensive -- some of
the devices must be created via defaults somewhere else.

So, what's the Right Thing To Do? (I'm using F9beta but I think the same
thing applies to F8, which I skipped.)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>