[F8] Gnome filesystem mounts

I don't know how to explain it, but apparently when filesytems
have paritions created, under the gnome WM, the filesystem
partitions appear automagically on the Desktop, when one logs
into an account.  This was working fine ever since I first installed
F8, which was many months ago.

But lately, I noticed that when I leave my account logged in for a
long time, some of these partitions are disappearing from the
Desktop, especially partitions that are not in the fstab.  I am
guessing that these partitions are part of the /media filesystem.

Note however that the filesystems that disappear are those of
a different drive and not the main drive holding the F8 OS.

Is this a normal behavior?

Thanks-
Dan

Checked by AVG.