Re: Samba won't dance

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:16:25 -0400
Claude Jones <cjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For years, Samba has not worked out of the box in Fedora, nor has it been easy
> to get working

I got it working initially in FC5 (or maybe FC4) using the web
interface for diddling the config files (and I can't for the life
of me remember what the name of the web interface package is -
you have to install it from the repos, it isn't a default package).

Somewhere in there (probably FC6), I also experienced the death
of samba :-). I could no longer get it to talk to my windows boxes
no matter what I poked in the web interface.

Then I tried simply copying the /etc/samba/smb.conf file from the
old release where it worked to the new release (where it didn't
work), and like magic, it started working again!

Ever since then I've just copied in the old smb.conf file, and I
continue to have no problems. I just hope it works the same
on fedora 9 when I upgrade...