Re: Samba won't dance (more info)

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:20 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon April 14 2008, Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Mon April 14 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > >  Error connecting to 8.15.7.117 (Connection refused)at
> > >
> > > So the windows box refused the connection. That means the problem is
> > > almost certainly on the windows side - firewall etc. Do the addresses
> > > reported match the actual IP addresses of the machine ?
>
> Just for experimentation's sake, I just inserted the PCLinuxOS 2007 disk in a
> second machine down in my basement, which is plugged in to the same wireless
> router as my Fedora box.
>
> (Here's my topology: Internet comes into my house via my phone line which is
> DSL enabled - the Westell 6100 DSL modem is set to PPPOE and is bridged to my
> wireless Linksys router, so it gets its outside address direct from my ISP
> which is the Verizon phone company - the Linksys is firewalling and set to
> act as a DHCP server - my machines in the basement are plugged directly into
> this Linksys and the machines upstairs connect to the Linksys wirelessly)
>
> Once PCLinuxOS came up, I had to tell it which NIC to use and configure it for
> DHCP as it had selected the unconnected NIC to configure and thus had no
> network connection.  As soon as I brought up the second NIC and configured it
> to get its address via DHCP, it came up and found my router's DHCP server and
> configured itself. I next opened up the smbk4 utility and ran a network scan;
> it found all my machines, resolved their names to their correct lan ip
> addresses, saw all their shares, and allowed those shares to be mounted and
> explored....
>
> So, why can't Fedora do that?
----
I'm sure Fedora can and will do that but you have to figure out why it's
not doing that.

WINS requires broadcasts...

so if all your systems are on 192.168.2.0 network and they all have a
255.255.255.0 subnet mask, and they are not blocking broadcast or
NETBIOS ports (137, 138, 139 & 445) by virtue of a firewall it all
should work as planned.

The broadcast address for 192.168.2.0 / subnet mask 255.255.255.0 is
192.168.2.255

If your Fedora box is on a different network, a different subnet mask or
the firewall blocks one of those ports, all bets are off.

Craig