Re: Samba won't dance

On Mon April 14 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > SELinux has denied the samba daemon access to users' home directories.
> > Someone is attempting to access your home directories via your samba
> > daemon. If you only setup samba to share non-home directories, this
> > probably signals a intrusion attempt. For more information on SELinux
> > integration with samba, look at the samba_selinux man page. (man
> > samba_selinux) Allowing AccessIf you want samba to share home directories
> > you need to turn on the
> > samba_enable_home_dirs boolean: "setsebool -P samba_enable_home_dirs=1"
>
> If you are trying to use samba to allow users to access their home files
> then the setsebool -P .... is needed for that bit work, hence the
> message initially, but after doing that you shouldn't see it again

OK, thanks. I did run that command.

> > a can't connect error. On my Fedora box, if I type smb:/ in the Konqueror
> > window, it shows me two networks (my laptop is configured to auto-connect
> > to the domain at work so that's not surprising), but if I click on the
> > home
>
> What does smbclient show you - that will give you a lot of good debug and
> similar information to help trace a funny. Samba on FC8 definitely works
> for some of us.

I'll have to do some reading on smbclient, but here's a couple of results:

$ smbclient --list Tehogee1
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a-0.fc8]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        cj              Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.28a-0.fc8)
        HPLaserJet      Printer   HP LaserJet 4L
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a-0.fc8]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        TEHOGEE1             Samba 3.0.28a-0.fc8

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP
the above was running the command against the machine itself
[cj@tehogee1 samba]$ smbclient --list StudioPC
Error connecting to 8.15.7.117 (Connection refused)at
Connection to StudioPC failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
StudioPC is a machine name on my network which I can see when I run the smbk4
GUI, this is the machine that can't list the shares - perhaps this is why?
[cj@tehogee1 samba]$ smbclient --list JULIMOBILE
Error connecting to 63.251.179.13 (Connection refused)
Connection to JULIMOBILE failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
This is an XP machine also on my lan which smbk4 sees and can list the shares
on, but when I try to list one of the shares, says it can't mount them. In
both these latter cases, smbclient seems to be going out to the internet to
try and do its command, however....

As far as Samba working for some, I do understand. It just never seems to work
for me, and when I've gotten it going, it was never quite rational - just the
result of trying and trying till something works, and by the time it does,
you're not sure what made the difference... I'm trying to force myself to be
more analytical this time.

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.