Re: New bug found (I think)

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 16:10 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 12:21 -0700, Les wrote:
I use lots of things across systems, and have used the command:

	dos2unix <xxx.txt >temp.txt

for years to accomplish this task.  Well, imagine my surprise when it
failed to work today.  I don't know when dos2unix was last visited, but
it no longer works.  Its simple effect on Microsoft files was to change
the carriage return (^M) to linefeed (^j).  This time it passed the file
through unchanged.
I can write my own version in about 2 seconds, but I am curious why such
a simple and useful function acquired numerous flags and options, and
then broke.  This is a great example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it!"

Just for your information:

[lesh@localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/bin/dos2unix
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15868 2007-02-06 08:45 /usr/bin/dos2unix
[lesh@localhost ~]$ which dos2unix
/usr/bin/dos2unix
[lesh@localhost ~]$
	I have to admit I probably haven't used it locally since upgrading to
FC7 from FC5.

Regards,
Les H

This can be done in vi very easily by the collowing command:
:1,$s/^V^M//
Where ^=ctrl

No need for vi:

tr -d "\015" < in > out

Of course both of these only work for ASCII. If it's Unicode, all bets
are off.

I wrote my own, just deleting CR isn't quite right, just want to delete CR only when followed by LF. Think ASCII graphic output, where CR is used to get overstrike on hardcopy, and LF in the middle of a line (see below).

output
      <-LF there to avoid spacing over.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>