Re: Installing FC8 fron USB stick

Ian Brown wrote:
Hi,

I have the FC8 (x86_64) installation iso - Fedora-8-x86_64-DVD.iso.
I want to install   FC8 on a machine without an optical drive.

What I am thinking is:

On first usb stick: (/dev/sdb1)
dd if= diskboot.img of=/dev/sdb1
and boot from this USB stick

On second usb stick: (/dev/sdc1)
dd if=/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc1

And from the installation program which runs when booting from the
first USB stick, I will choose : installation from disk
and select /dev/sdc1.

Now, this should work (I haven't try it yet).

But my question is : can it be done in one shot?

Namely, if I will run
dd if=/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc1
and try to boot from this stick  - will it work ? does isolinux support it ?
and in case it does not - can anybody suggest how can it be done (if at all)
in one shot?

Regards,
IB

A better way would be to use the diskboot.img It is designed to boot off a USB stick. There was a thread about this a while ago, with a pointer to a HOWTO page, but I could not find it. But if I remember correctly, you can put the DVD image on the same USB stick as a file, and point the installer to it.

Mikkel