To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: gallery2 under CentOS-5

Edwin Tan wrote:

I know this isn't a Fedora question,
but I am running CentOS-5.1 on a little Dell server,
with Fedora-8 on my other machines.

I want to install gallery2 on the server
(as I was using it on my old server)
but can't find any CentOS RPM.

I'm a little reluctant to compile it,
as it seems to be extremely complicated.
(I appear to have 77 gallery2-* packages.)

I'm not sure what version of Fedora CentOS-5
is more or less equivalent to,
or if gallery2 was out for that version of Fedora?

It struck me that someone here might have come up against
the same issue.
Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

see this? check it out..... :D

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Preinstaller

Thanks, in the end I followed this advice.

I should say that the reason I would have preferred an RPM
is that gallery2 seems very complicated,
with mysql, php and httpd connections,
and I've no idea of the security implications of running it.

However, my conclusion in the end
was that one is probably no better off with the RPM version,
as one has to go through the standard "10 steps to installation"
in either case, so the security issues are probably identical.

I'm only left with one issue,
which applies to both MySQL and gallery2 .
I've actually installed them both on "alice",
the machine I hope to install as server.
But I am still using the old server, which has a fixed external IP address.

I'm not sure if when I use the new machine as server,
I will have to re-install MySQL and/or gallery2,
specifying the new name as host?

In other words, is a MySQL server installed on a computer,
or on a named host?
If the computer changes its name, must MySQL be re-installed?
I guess I shall find the answer to that shortly, in any case.
But it would be nice to know in advance ...