Re: WiFi - Wireless-G and Wireless-N adapters support in Fedora 9

Edwin Tan <edwintan <at> creativedesigner.biz> writes:
> Since Fedora 9 is coming out soon next month. I would like to know
> the drivers support for the WiFi adapters, will Fedora include the
> drivers in their OS or rely on the 3rd party contributors?

Wireless drivers are included if and only if they are Free Software (freely
redistributable and modifiable). Firmware is included if and only if it's
freely redistributable.

Usually, drivers also have to be either included in the upstream kernel already
or about to be included to be shipped in Fedora, but in the case of the
wireless drivers, there was a lot of movement upstream to get drivers merged
lately, so there shouldn't be any acceptably-licensed drivers left which aren't
included.

Also note that Fedora always ships the very latest wireless drivers from the
wireless driver development tree.

> By the way, found the .run installer from ATI is pretty neat.
> Will all the drivers come this way?

No. Drivers within Fedora never come in a .run, and for third-party drivers
RPMs are preferred, see:
http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video

        Kevin Kofler